Welcome to Charleston Habitat for Humanity Welcome to Charleston Habitat for Humanity
Home About Us Volunteer Donate Today Homeowners Construction Events Sponsors ReStore Contact Us
Rehabilitation Program
Welcome to The Homeowner Home Rehabilitation Prorgram (HHRP)


The HHRP was developed out of an earlier HFHI Program, called 21st Century Challenge, where strong affiliates were challenged to eliminate substandard housing through home rehabilitation and repair in partnership with other organizations. This rehabilitation program is in addition to the Habitat mission of building new construction homes for working families in Charleston and North Charleston.
We rehabilitate and repair homes for qualified homeowners living in either city. The repairs are financed using a forgivable loan financing mechanism with 0% interest and no profit to our organization.

What are the qualifying requirements for the program?
  1. You must own and live in the residence that requires repairs.
  2. The home is located within the city limits of either Charleston or North Charleston and within Charleston County, excluding James Island and Johns Island.
  3. Your mortgage and tax payments must be current.
  4. The property must have clear title.
  5. The applicant must be willing to perform 25 hours of sweat equity with Habitat. This includes a financial management class, home maintenance workshops, and on-site volunteerism.
  6. The maximum cost of repairs is $20,000, with the homeowner paying 10% of the total cost over an appropriate period of time. The remaining 90% is forgiven at 5% per year so long as you continue to live in and own the home.
  7. Feasible repair work includes window and door replacement, painting, flooring repairs, and making the home handicapped accessible.
  8. This program is not for emergency home repairs.

For 2009, the process applicants go through to qualify for our rehab program is as follows:
  1. Homeowner applies to the program.
  2. Application is reviewed by Family Services Director.
  3. Home is inspected by Construction Department.
  4. Construction submits a full bid and timeline including volunteer opportunities.
  5. Partner Agreement and Pre-Rehab Meeting.
  6. Repairs and sweat equity hours are completed.
  7. Closing on the Home.


The next application meeting will be scheduled in Fall 2009.
Designed by True Prism
Home | Contact Us | Legal Notice | Privacy Policy