What is a ReStore?
Charleston Habitat for Humanity is proud to own and operate two locations to serve the greater Charleston community. The ReStore located at 731 Meeting Street hours of operation are 10 AM to 5 PM Monday-Friday and 10 AM to 4 PM on Saturday (closed on Sunday). The ReStore Warehouse is located in West Ashley and is currently open limited hours – every Tuesday through Friday from 10 AM to 2 PM (843-345-7209). To speak with a ReStore Staff member, call the main number at 843-579-0777 during our hours of operation (Monday through Saturday).
Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, home accessories, building materials, and appliances to the public at a fraction of the retail price and with no sales tax. Proceeds are used to build homes locally in Charleston and North Charleston. Please drop by our location to view our inventory and see what sales we have this week. Once you purchase an item, we can hold it for 48 hours while you make arrangements for delivery — unfortunately we lack the resources to make deliveries.
Make a Donation to the ReStore
The Charleston Habitat for Humanity ReStore gladly accepts donations from individuals and organizations in the cities of Charleston and North Charleston.
The items you may donate to the ReStore include:
- Architectural Salvage: Inventory includes doors, windows, door frames, sinks and much more.
- Plumbing: Sinks, bathtubs, faucets.
- Flooring: Tile, carpet, rugs, wood and laminate.
- Electrical: Lighting fixtures and assorted construction materials for electricians.
- Furniture: Office furniture, couches, tables, dining sets, dressers and bookshelves.
- Appliances: Appliances including ranges, washers, dryers, refrigerators and dishwashers (must be in working condition)
- Paint (new only) and Painting Supplies
- Electronics: Stereo equipment and household appliances such as coffee makers, toasters, and microwaves
- Household Goods: Exercise and sporting equipment, gardening materials, dishes, upholstery, books, and music.
Currently the ReStore does NOT accept the following items:
- Used textiles or clothing
- Medicine or medical supplies
- Children’s toys and accessories, including cribs, car seats, and strollers
- Car parts
- Open or partially used cans of paint
- Hazardous or toxic chemicals
- Pesticides (liquid or powdered type)
We have a pick-up service Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm for all donations; to schedule, please call 843-579-0777 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an itemized list of the donations.
Requests for pickup service from a residence, business, construction site, or storage unit can be made up to four weeks before the appointment and we recommend scheduling at least 72 hours in advance. Our drivers will come to your location, remove the items to be donated, and give you a tax donation receipt. Our drivers cannot disassemble or disconnect any item and we ask that everything be boxed and ready to go. Our drivers are authorized to refuse any item that is broken, not ready for pick-up, or on the list of unacceptable items.
Donations can be dropped off directly at 731 Meeting Street between the hours of 10am and 4pm Monday through Friday and 10am to 3pm on Saturday. Please no curbside drop-offs on Sunday as we are closed.
Volunteer at the ReStore
We are always looking for volunteers at the Charleston Habitat ReStore. With the help of our volunteers, we can reduce costs and provide a great service to the community. Volunteers can expect to organize and price donated items, provide assistance to ReStore customers, and assist in keeping the store clean and tidy. We take volunteers Monday through Friday from 10am to 5pm and on Saturday from 10am to 4pm; we are closed on Sunday.
Volunteers join us from all walks of life. We have retirees, community service, students, churches, businesses, and individuals. They all share one trait, a positive attitude and a willingness to serve their community.
To find out more about volunteering at the Charleston Habitat ReStore, please call (843) 579-0777 and ask to speak with Neal or Eric or send an email to email@example.com. You will be scheduled for an orientation meeting which take place at 9.30am Wednesday through Saturday. You can start volunteering the same day as your orientation or you can sign-up for another day on our volunteer calendar. Please do not miss your scheduled orientation as you cannot volunteer until this requirement is completed. Thanks for your support.
Long term* ReStore volunteer positions are also currently available!
(1) ReStore Cashier: Volunteer rings up customer sales, processes sold-hold paperwork, answers customer questions, and schedules donation pickups.
(2) ReStore Driver Aide: Volunteer rides along with our truck drivers to assist in loading and unloading of donations.
(3) ReStore Floor Assistant/Pricer: Volunteer assists Assistant Manager with maintaining a neat floor space with aisles, ensure prices on all donations, and processes incoming small donations.
*Long term ReStore volunteer positions require a commit of at least one shift per week (3-4 hours). We also welcome volunteers who are willing to assist several times a week! Please note that these positions will require a background check.